Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Baked Buffalo Chicken and Shells with Cheddar and Gouda


I think we all get into a rut a lot when it comes to cooking. We find two or three dishes that are super easy and fast and cook them often (I can't even tell you how many times this week I've made myself homemade General Tso's Chicken with rice). Sure, we can add variety by mixing up vegetables and such, but the core recipes are still the same.

I have been planning a lot this month to start actively trying to create and eat different foods. I want to find joy in flavors again rather than just eating because I know I need to eat something. That's a huge problem with having depression and anxiety; sometimes if I have nothing to remind me, I will forget to eat all day until all of a sudden my hunger hits all at once. It sucks.

This is the first of many recipes I hope to share here. It's super simple, and I was honestly just trying to throw something different together to satisfy my PMS craving for hot wings. It worked pretty well, and I got the added bonus of cheese as well. My husband even approved enthusiastically, and he's usually confused by my pms craving induced meals!

I hope you all enjoy!

Recipe after the jump.





Serves 4-6 people

You Will Need:

1/3 lb Chicken breast meat, chopped into bite-sized pieces
2 TBSP Buffalo Wing Seasoning
1 Tbsp Oil (I used avocado oil)
2 cups pasta shells (or any other bite-sized pasta like macaroni, penne, rigatoni, etc.)
Water
1 Pinch salt
2 stalks celery, sliced thinly (optional)
1 cup shredded Gouda
1 cup shredded cheddar
4 Tbsp milk
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup of your favorite buffalo wing sauce (I used Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Sauce)

The Process:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a baking or pie dish. Set aside.
  2. Follow your pasta's directions (usually that's just boiling in lightly salted water. Drain but do not rinse.
  3. While the pasta is cooking, heat your oil in a 10-12 inch skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped chicken, celery slices, and buffalo seasoning. Cook until chicken is golden brown and celery begins to soften slightly.
  4. Return pasta to its pot and place on the stove at medium-low heat. Add Gouda, cheddar, milk, sour cream, and buffalo sauce. Stir to combine to melt the cheese and mix in the flavors. Add cooked chicken and celery.
  5. Spread into your pre-greased dish and cover with tinfoil. Bake for 15-18 minutes.

Enjoy!

Post a Comment