Friday, April 21, 2017

Slow Cooker Ham & White Bean Soup

Some days I can plan a full meal, baking chicken, sautéing vegetables, and maybe even baking some fresh bread.

Other days (more often than not) I'm lazy as all get-out. On these days I have a choice: either make something quick and, most likely, not very healthy, or throw some stuff into the crock pot and let it go for a few hours. I prefer the latter option as often as possible. I decided to share one of my favorite slow cooker recipes with you!

_giftofgabbybog_2017_recipe_hamandwhitebeansoup-1





You Will Need:
• 1 lb ham, diced into 1/2" to 1"  cubes
• 1 can reduced sodium Great Northern Beans, rinsed and drained
• 2 medium carrots, sliced into 1/4" thick discs
• 2 medium golden potatoes, diced
• 1/2 cup sliced leek (whites and greens)
• 3 cups unsalted vegetable stock (I used homemade)
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1 tsp thyme
• 1/2 tsp ground black pepper

Please note: I did not add any salt, and used unsalted or low sodium options. The ham itself has a high enough sodium content for this recipe for my taste. You can add salt if you want, of course, but this soup is already plenty flavorful!

Add all ingredients to the crockpot. Cook on high for 2 1/2 hours, or on low for 4 hours. Stir once or twice during cook time. Remove the bay leaf and serve.

_giftofgabbybog_2017_recipe_hamandwhitebeansoup-2

Leftovers can be canned and stored in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. This recipe makes about 6 servings of soup (although with how much my husband eats this is two meals between the two of us!



This post was originally shared on 21 April 2017 back when this blog was on Wordpress. I took a long haitus to work on my mental health and decided that Blogger was a more manageable platform, so I am migrating posts here so I don't lose everything. I look forward to creating new content in a no-pressure context!   xoxo, Gabby 

Post a Comment